10 Books Every Trauma Survivor Must Read
Sometimes you may not have the ability to invest in yourself in large sums.
Sometimes that means you get to invest in yourself in different ways.
One of my fave and least expensive ways to invest in yourself is buying and reading books.
Books are a fantastic way to transform and heal.
Before I give 10 books that will help you heal, I want to give a little bit of information.
I hear all the time that self-help books actually do the opposite. I disagree.
I disagree because there’s this misconception that you’re supposed to use every single method the author provides. Sure, it will help, but sometimes that method may not work for you.
The author of the book was just letting you know what has worked for her and her clients. That doesn’t always mean it will work for you.
However, reading the book will always provide incredible insights.
This is what I tell clients and others when I talk about reading books.
Read the book, whatever lesson(s) you learn, insights you pick up, it was worth reading.
If you learn a method and apply it to your life. Then it was worth the read, even if it was one thing.
How do you know which method to use?
The one that makes you think, oh, I can do that! I want to try that! That works for me.
That’s how you know.
If you only learn one thing, the time was worth it.
These books below, I have read and have had a tremendous impact on my life and healing. When people ask about books, I recommend these:
Disclaimer: There are affiliate links attached. When you purchase from these links, I earn a small commission. Thank you!
- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz: This book has been one of the most influential books I’ve read. It changed my life. It provides 4 major ways you want to live your life to live it to the fullest. The 4 ways also help you interact with people and understand people and yourself a lot better. Every single time someone asks which book you recommend that changed your life, this is the one! You can get it here!
- Awaken the Giant Within by Tony Robbins: This book is jammed pack with insights, information, and methods on how to shift your mindset, shift your relationships, shift your career and become more successful and live the way you desire. Growth equals healing, and this guy really knows his stuff. When someone asks me about mindset books, I recommend this one. Plus, it provides a whole person transformation if you really stick to all the methods and practices he offers. You can get it here.
- Like She Owns the Place by Cara Alwill Leyba: I know this book is meant for women in business, but this book has helped build my confidence. I share it with anyone that asks about books on confidence. When you’ve been through trauma, your confidence usually sucks. This book will help give you a different perspective on beauty, plus stories and tools that you can use to find your confidence and live more confidently. You can grab it here.
- The Big Leap By Gay Hendricks: If you struggle with self-sabotage, this is your book. When you deal with healing and shifting, you also deal with sending yourself 10 steps back after making significant progress. Sometimes you notice, and sometimes you don’t. If you truly, truly struggle with self-sabotage, this must be the first book you read. You can grab it here.
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle: This book helped me profoundly while I was pregnant and during all the heavy lifting of healing. This book helps explain why now is the only thing that matters and how you practice being more present. If you’re healing from trauma, you probably have anxiety about the future and hang on to the past. To heal, that must become less and less. Focusing on now and being present will give you reasons to live and be grateful for life. You can grab it here.
- The Courage to Heal by Ellen Bass & Laura Davis: This book is for those who have experienced childhood sexual trauma. This book is powerful and loaded with activities to help you while you’re healing from this type of abuse. A little warning it can be triggering. If you don’t want to deal with your triggers, I don’t recommend this book. However, if you’re ready to heal, this is the book for you. Plus, it really does help to hear other women’s stories! You can check it out here.
- I Thought It Was Just Me by Brene Brown: Shame is written in all trauma! Sometimes we don’t even realize that some of our behavior actually comes from shame. The small things we do or don’t do. This book was life-changing as far as noticing the things that I did out of shame. It caused so much healing. I recommend it for anyone who is battling shame. You can check it out here.
- Complex PTSD Workbook by Arielle Schwartz: This is a powerful way to help anyone who struggles with the aftermath of abuse. It provides insights, tools, resources, and great activities to help you with CPTSD. It also helps explain why you do some of the things you do. This book is so helpful. I recommend it to anyone struggling with an emotional outburst, not sleeping well, and just feeling numb to everything. You can check it out here!
- The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown: This book provides so many stories and insights on how to let go of perfectionism. A lot of that mindset actually comes from the trauma you endured. With this book, you can learn to let it go. I recommend this if you are struggling with people-pleasing and continually feel like you need to be perfect to please yourself and others. You can check out the book right here!
- Recovery of Your Inner Child by Lucia Capacchione: This book is so powerful in doing parts work. She really knows her stuff and has helped me understand my inner child parts so much better. I couldn’t be more excited to share this with you. I’m a firm believer that doing parts work brings in whole healing. This will help you. You can grab the book here.
Sometimes we can’t invest in programs. That’s okay. There are different options out there that can help you. These books listed above will help you grow, learn, and heal. So that you can do the work on your own.
You’re ready to heal. The time is now!
Start with these books.
Take a strong first leap in your healing journey right now and begin recovering from the trauma in your past by entering your name and email address below to receive my healing email series and unleash your inner Badass Warrior Goddess today.
What to Read Next
I was a victim of sexual trauma turned thriver. I work with women who have suffered from sexual trauma. I have seen our society massively shift in the last few years over sexual violence, sexual abuse, sexual harassment. Thanks to the #metoo and #saveourchildren...
I know that you’ve heard all the stories from the lightworkers about healing. Some lightworkers do amazing work. Most lightworkers have good intentions. I’ve learned after 6 of my own healing. Plus, 2 of those years I started working with clients, I realized that...
As an adult, most of us push everything down inside of us. Especially trauma. Why? Because thinking about the past causes pain. Trauma isn’t something that goes away with time. Trauma is something that must be seen, heard, and understood. Healing trauma isn’t about...